Tax Preparation Services – How to Get a Copy of Your Income Tax Return From the IRS for Free

Taxpayers often need a copy of a previously filed tax return for any number of reasons. Perhaps you are applying for a mortgage loan or you’d like to amend a return. What do you do if you can’t find your copy? The article will explain the options for this often overlooked tax preparation service.

Tax Preparation - Kuberneo CPA | Accounting Firm in Orlando

Option 1 – Get a written transcript of the return for free.
To receive a free copy of a previously filed income tax return, call the IRS at 800-829-1040 and follow the prompts in the recorded message to request a written transcript. Or you can complete Form 4506-T and send it to the IRS via good old snail-mail. Form 4506-T is available at the IRS website.

Take note: this transcript is not a complete photocopy of the actual return. Rather, it’s a streamlined version that simply lists the line items and dollar amounts Tax Preparation Services. According to the IRS, this transcript will show most line items contained on the return as it was originally filed, so it will likely provide what you need to satisfy a lender or to amend a return via Form 1040X.

Option 2. Get the complete photocopy of the return for $57.
If you must have an actual photocopy of the return, you must pay for it. The cost is $57 for each return requested. Submit your request on Form 4506, also available at the IRS website.

An Example. How to save $171 and get a refund from the IRS.
If you have discovered that you forgot a particular deduction on a previously filed return, you have three years from the original due date to file an amended return on Form 1040X and receive a refund. So, you have until April 15, 2011 to amend your 2007 return due April 15, 2008. You have until April 15, 2012 to amend your 2008 return and April 15, 2013 to amend your 2009 return.

Let’s say you just realized that you may have forgotten to include some charitable contributions to one particular charity for each of the last three years. But you can’t remember for sure whether this is the case. And you recently moved and can’t find your returns for the past three years.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *