Seen The Dark Knight? (Yes/No/Maybe/Can’t Say)
The late Heath Ledger played the Joker as a psychopathic, mass murdering, schizophrenic clown with zero empathy. His role is hailed as one of the best performances ever by any artist in the history of Hollywood.
Christopher Nolan (the maker of The Dark Knight) used an interesting campaign to market the movie. It was called the ‘why so serious?’ campaign.
In the movie, you see the Joker as this mad-max who’s got ‘nothing planned’ and just goes about creating havoc in a bid to kill Batman and get loads of moolah for it. He basically wants to have a gooood time at the expense of others. On the other hand, Batman and Gotham city police are out there to clear the mess. They have a plan and are pretty serious about it.
DICTIONARY MEANING OF SERIOUS:
1. Requiring effort or concentration; complex and not easy to answer or solve;
2. Completely lacking in playfulness;
3. Concerned with work or important matters rather than play or trivialities.
The above definitions of ‘sErIoUs’ put me in a tizzy. Because even though the Joker was the one questioning everyone’s seriousness, he too, was pretty serious! Don’t you think?
The point here is simple.
Even though the Joker thought he was just going about kabooming-kazooing for fun, he had a purpose. He had something in mind. He had what we call a ‘plan’ (to kill Batman) contrary to what is made to believe.
Was he serious?
Oh I can bet a million bucks that he was abso-freakin-lutely serious!
And how can I say it with so much conviction?
Because he just had a different approach to being serious. And no matter how absurd it may sound, he was having joker123 fun being serious. Most will think that it completely opposes the definitions above, but it doesn’t.
– How can you (with pin-point accuracy) envision, plan and implant bombs unless you don’t put in effort and concentration?
– How can you hogwash an entire city without being focused on a single target?
– How can you kill two birds with one stone without a proper aim?
– How can you accomplish all of the above and yet- have fun?
You got to be serious man! Period.
In a nutshell, this Joker dude was having some ‘serious fun’.
The take-away here is that no matter what you want in life (materialistic, spiritual, mental, or Batman) you got to be serious! You can have fun while being serious (Joker) or you can be seriously serious (Batman). The choice is yours, if you really want something.
If you’re not serious enough, you’re either not inclined or you’re just having a bloody good time.